In light of the pending FIFA World Cup starting, we want to recap on some work we did a few years back. Having completed works on the Sochi Games Media Centre, Encon Associates also completed a package of BREEAM works on the $180 Million Samara World Cup Stadium in Samara Oblast in the Russian Federation.
The FIFA World Cup Stadium is one of the purpose built stadiums for the 2018 World Cup that is being designed to achieve a high BREEAM standard under the BREEAM International Bespoke methodology.
Encon Associates were appointed to provide BREEAM support for several credits to meet minimum mandatory requirements and help achieve a high BREEAM target of BREEAM Excellent, which is a tough feat for such a building. Services undertaken include complex energy assessment services and 3D modelling.
Glenn Miles of Encon Associates said: "We are excited to be working on such a prestigious BREEAM International project. As experienced BREEAM assessors we are ideally placed to offer advice to the design team to help achieve their ambitious BREEAM target"
Sustainable features of Russia's World Cup Stadiums in 2018
In total there are 6 World Cup Stadiums targeted to BREEAM standards, with the aim of raising the bar for sustainable design and construction in Russia. The key sustainable features of the stadium designs include:
- High energy efficient lighting, designed to achieve international best practice standards for light quality, with automated lighting controls to reduce energy bills.
- Overall energy consumption 40% lower than a baseline building. Savings will be achieved through reduced U-values for the building’s fabric, efficient heating with heat recovery, and efficient ventilation with carbon dioxide sensors to turn ventilators on and off.
- Facilities for segregated waste collection including organic waste storage and packaging, together with a compactor.
- All WCs will be equipped with water saving fixtures and valves to prevent leakage.
- Ecological and biodiversity studies that go above typical local construction practice requirements, with measures to enhance biodiversity.
The tournament is due to Kick of in a weeks time. Good luck to all those involved and to those travelling out to the stadiums.